Move over Facebook cover photos, it is time to try out Facebook cover videos. While testing for this new feature started in mid-2017, it wasn’t until recently that the feature was made available for all Facebook pages. However, the feature isn’t currently available for Facebook profiles.
- What Are Facebook Cover Videos?
- Why are Facebook Cover Videos the next big thing?
- How to Make Facebook Cover Videos Work for You?
- How to Make Effective Facebook Cover Videos?
- How to Upload Your Facebook Cover Video?
- Tips for the Best Use of Facebook Cover Videos
- Facebook Cover Videos To Inspire You
What Are Facebook Cover Videos?
Before we delve into the details, it is best to know what the new feature is all about. Most of us have used Facebook cover photos, haven’t we? From displaying services and products to featuring upcoming events, Facebook cover photos have been a useful tool for all brands and businesses.
With this new feature, you can now add a video as a cover instead of just an image. This video will start playing as soon as anyone visits your page. While the video is in mute by default, visitors will have the option to unmute it and listen to the video.
Why are Facebook Cover Videos the next big thing?
User interaction is a priority for all brands, businesses, and marketers. With users interested in consuming more video content now more than ever, videos are all the rage. They make it easier for you to reach out to your audience in a way that they like the best. Videos provide users with a richer experience than text or plain images, and as a brand or business or marketer, you have got to reap its benefits. That’s where the cover videos come in. By putting an engaging video right on the cover of your Facebook page, you attract the attention of the users right away. Moreover, it gives them a good idea about what you do, what you have on offer, and whether you are the best choice. With the right Facebook cover video, you grab the eyeballs that you need.
How to Make Facebook Cover Videos Work for You?
Cover videos are a great tool for any brand or marketer but only if they are used properly. Since this Facebook feature is pretty new, we will help you understand it better. Let’s delve deeper into the details of this exciting new feature:
Facebook specifies that the video to be used for the cover must be at least 820 x 312 pi. That, however, is not an optimal choice. It is best that you use a video that is 820 x 462 pi. You must also take into account that since the edges of the Facebook cover get cut off in the mobile app, all text in the video must be centred. This way, the user will be able to see everything that is on the video. Facebook also resizes your video to 16:9 aspect ratio after you upload for the best experience.
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Video Dimensions: 820 x 312 pi
While you can upload a vast variety of video formats to Facebook, it recommends using .mov or .mp4 for smooth user experience. If your video is in a different format, you can convert it to a .mp4 or .mov file using a free video converter available online.
Note: The cover video must not be more than 1080p.
You can use a video that is anywhere between 20-90 seconds for your Facebook cover. The video will continue playing in a loop. So, it is important that the end and start blends in smoothly to avoid that weird transition phase. You can also turn off the loop feature if you want.
Unless the video is specifically made to meet the cover size, you will need to crop and reposition it. That is why it is best to use a video that has images and texts at the centre. This will ensure that nothing gets cut off.
Facebook app users or those with a slow internet connection will see the video thumbnails initially. To make the users click and watch the video, the thumbnails must be eye-catchy and meaningful.
Moreover, custom thumbnails are not an option on Facebook. You will be allowed to choose a cover frame from the 10 options provided by Facebook. If you want your cover thumbnail to have a custom frame, you must add it to the very start of the video and then, upload it.
How to Make Effective Facebook Cover Videos?
Your Facebook cover video will be an important marketing tool and you want to do the best job with it. If hiring an expert isn’t possible or you want to experiment, you may want to use some of the tools that help create fantastic videos:
- Adobe Spark – Spark is a free tool from Adobe that you can use to create videos on the iOS platform or online. It is simple to use and allows text overlays. If you are a beginner, this is the best place to start as the tool provides a ‘Story Guide’ template that helps newbies learn the art of storytelling via a video.
- Wave – If you are new to video making, you can use Wave as it is very easy to use. Editing is super easy on Wave. To make things easier, you can choose from the several stock videos available in their library and add text over them.
- Flipagram – This is an app available both on iOS and Android and helps create a slideshow using images available on your camera roll.
- Final Cut Pro – This tool is preferred by many video content providers as it allows easy video editing. The flip side is you can use it only on Mac.
- Camtasia – This is a professional grade tool quite similar to Final Cut Pro. However, you get no access to stock videos.
- Promo Videos-
How to Upload Your Facebook Cover Video?
Once you have your kickass cover video ready, it is time to upload it. It is a very simple process and requires only a few steps.
- On your computer, open Facebook and open your business or brand page.
- Use your mouse to hover over the cover photo.
- You will see the Change Cover button. Click on it.
- A menu will appear. Select the option “Upload Photo/Video”.
- You will be asked to choose a video. Browse and choose the video that you want to upload.
- You will see an upload progress bar.
- Once the upload is complete, you can drag the video to ensure that it is in position.
- When done, confirm to publish your video as the Cover Video.
After publishing the video, make sure that you view it from the Facebook app and online as well to make sure that the video is working fine.
Note: Facebook cover videos cannot be uploaded via the mobile app at the moment. You will also see a Play button as an overlay while on the Facebook app.
Tips for the Best Use of Facebook Cover Videos
Want your cover videos to be a huge success? Here are some tips for you:
- Choose professional yet engaging videos.
- Take care of the looping aesthetics.
- Use your brand/company color and logo frequently.
- Keep your video updated with the latest news and information.
- Last, but not the least, make sure that video abides by Facebook’s guidelines for cover photos.
Facebook Cover Videos To Inspire You
It definitely helps that Edutopia is a wonderful organization that works to prepare students for their adult lives. Their cover video works because they use real people who are involved with the mission and really make you feel the emotions behind their mission.
Since they are a platform that helps people create professional videos that easily, it is a given that they would have a video on their cover! It works because it gives a walkthrough on how to use their service in a simple way.
Hubspot knows marketing. That’s all I have to say! Now their cover video is not super jazzy, in fact, it can be considered a gif more than a video. But it is different from all their competitors who use only static images.
Marvel knows its audience and they use their cover videos to educate and engage their fans. Currently, in their video, the upcoming movies and release dates are displayed.
Food videos are still blowing up in 2019? Just take a look at Buzzfeed Tasty. The cover video they use will make anyone hungry for sure and could even drive sales. That’s why Zomato deserves a spot in this list.