Polls have been in use for years even when there was no Facebook. Having a poll on a certain question can reveal a lot of interesting ideas and facts that one might not be aware of.
Keep in mind though that you cannot run a poll on a personal profile. There is no option to do so; the only place on Facebook where you can start a poll is on a group or a page. It could be because people will start to run polls for the basic decisions of life! “Should I eat eggs today for breakfast or waffles!” Probably it would turn into an episode of Black Mirror. Mind you, Instagram does allow anyone whether you’re a brand or an individual to run polls.
On Facebook, you should choose a suitable group to run your poll so that you get the answer that might help you make some decision or get valuable answers to something.
How to create a poll on Facebook?
- First thing will be to find a group where you can put up your question as a Poll. To do so, find the “Groups” option on the left-hand sidebar with the heading “Explore”.. Usually, groups are public, but in case you find a closed group, you will have to wait until one of the admins approves your request to join the group.
- Just underneath the group banner, you can find the “Write Post” box. There are plenty of options to choose from; click on the “…” and more options will appear. Amongst those options, you can find “Poll”.
- Click on the option and it will provide you with a space to write your question. For example: What gift should I buy for a baby girl? Once you are done with the question, now you will have to add some answer options from which the other users will choose. You can add as many options as you want.
- Now you are almost ready to post your first Poll on Facebook, but before you do so, you need to set some settings for the polls. There are 2 different options to choose from:
– The first option will allow the other users to add options of their choice in case they are unable to find one amongst the choices already available in the Poll.
– The second option will allow the users to choose more than one option as an answer to your question. Both these options can be turned on or turned off, according to your need and should be taken care of before you post the Poll on the Facebook group.
- Once you are all set, you can post the Poll. But what if you do not want to post the Poll right at that moment, Facebook has an option for that too.
Simply schedule the time of the post. This will ensure that even if you are not online on Facebook, the Poll will be posted on the fixed time and the users of the particular group will be able to see that Poll and choose their answers at will.
- Also, do not forget to set a time limit for the Poll to end. Unless you do this, the Polling won’t stop and users will be able to choose their options for eons after you’ve posted.
Creating Polls on Your Page
Apart from creating Polls on certain Facebook Groups, you can opt to run a Poll on your own page as well. For example, if you have a beauty brand and want to know if you need to make some changes or introduce new products, polls might be really helpful. To run a Poll on your Page, you will have to follow similar steps as shown above.
Instead of writing a normal post, click on “…”, find the “Poll” option from the list, put up your question, provide with plausible answers or the options you think are suitable, and you are done. Just remember that you might want to turn on the first option on the settings which will allow your users to add their own choice of an answer while taking the Poll. Select a time limit and you are all set. Now all you have to do is wait and watch how the Poll goes and once the time is over, check with the result and you will have ideas about what you need to do next.
Creating Polls on Other platforms
Technically there are multiple platforms that you can use to create your Poll. For example, you can use Google Forms to create a Poll the way you want them to be. Once you are done with the Poll creation, you can now share the link on your Facebook profile. This will let your friends and others see the link, and if they wish, they can visit your Poll page and choose their preferred answer according to their choice.
But do remember that creating a Poll outside of Facebook and then sharing will not allow you to have all the benefits that you might have while creating a Poll on Facebook itself. For example, in case a user has a better option to come up with, he or she will not be able to add a new response to the Poll.
Benefits of Using Polls on Facebook
Irrespective of whether you are creating a Poll on a Facebook page or not, the benefits of creating a poll are the same:
- Having a Poll can help you increase engagement and provide you with opportunities to have a lot more interaction with your Facebook followers
- Polls can certainly improve the visibility and reach of your publications
- In case you have your own brand and you wish to know the response of the users, then this kind of Poll can be really helpful
- Feedback is really important and there is no other better way than Poll to know what your users are looking for in your product or what they like or dislike, etc.
- If you have a large user base, Polls can be a good way to communicate and build a relationship with them
- Once the Poll is over, you can share the results and start building exposure and get your users’ attention as well
- Analyze the Poll result to understand how you wish to go forward
So, what do you think? Even if you do not run a company or business, there are plenty of things you can run a Poll on. Any time you need someone else’s opinion to decide what you need to do on certain things, you can go for a Poll. Just make sure that you choose the right group or page to post your Poll and you will be able to get the right insight.